In times of pandemic it is best to be protected and informed, we must all know the symptoms of the new variant of COVID19, the Omicron. Therefore, here we tell you what you should know even if you are vaccinated.
Early investigations found no clear difference in the symptom profile of the delta and omicron variants, according to the scientists in the ZOE COVID study.
The 5 main symptoms are:
- Runny nose
- Fatigue (mild or severe)
- Throat pain
Only 50% of people with the disease have experienced the three classic symptoms, fever, cough, or loss of smell or taste. Most of the people who contributed to the ZOE study were vaccinated and did not experience serious illness or require hospitalization.
«The unvaccinated are really quite vulnerable to getting infected and getting into serious trouble» Dr. Anthony Fauci told Eyewitness News during a recent interview.
In addition, he added that reinforcing with current vaccines is the best way to protect against serious diseases. Fauci said that there is always the risk of unexpected cases. While omicron and delta can feel like a cold to many, the virus can kill and leave 1 in 50 with long-term symptoms.
Here are the recommendations from the ZOE study to protect yourself and the people around you:
- If you have symptoms, get tested but also isolate yourself.
- If you live in an area that experiences high infection rates, consider staying home and reducing social contact.
- Get fully vaccinated, including booster.
- Wear a mask in crowded places and indoors.
- Improve your immune health with small changes to your diet.