Queen Elizabeth II would return to public events after a brief hospital stay last month to attend the Remembrance Sunday Service. However, in a recent statement from Buckingham Palace, they confirmed that the 95-year-old had sprains her back and could not be at the event.
«… she decided this morning with great regret that she will not be able to attend the Remembrance Sunday service at the cenotaph»
«Her Majesty of her is disappointed that she will miss the service«
The Remembrance Sunday Service is an annual event to honor those who fought and died in past conflicts and, as a monarch, it was important to her to attend. The queen was «deeply disappointed to lose the engagement that she regards as one of the most important engagements of the year» a source told Today.
Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth II. Forevermore regal. God Save The Queen. pic.twitter.com/UWG2MpDfJk
— RoyalFanPH (@RoyalFanPH1) November 13, 2021
On the other hand, Charles, Prince of Wales, will attend the event and lay a wreath on behalf of his mother, the palace confirmed.
Last month, the queen spent a night in the hospital and then «reluctantly accepted medical advice» to take a few days off, canceling her plans to attend the UN climate meeting in Glasgow, and instead sent a video message. So ever since, she has been working from her home at Windsor Castle.
Doctors also recommended that the queen make changes to her routine, such as forgoing her iconic Dubonnet cocktail for the evening, British historian Andrew Roberts told the website last week.